en hy ru


It is situated 14 km east to the Sisian on the left-hand hill of the Vorotan's gorge. Vorotnavank is mentioned still from 4th century. Nowadays preserved buildings have been built by the Syunik's queen Shahanduxt in 1000, who was the grandmother of Katramide wife of the Armenian king Ashot the Yerkat, mother of the Syunik's governor Vasak the A and the wife of Smbat the A. Formerly in the place of the Vorotnavank was the Christian shrine after St. Grigor Lusavorich/Gregory the Illuminator. The inscription on its establishment has been preserved “In 1000 Shanaduxt by order of king Smbat built a church after St. Naxavka Stepanos, then in 1006 Sevada, the brother of king Vasak built here a church after St. Karapet and its chapel”. Shahanduxt built also art centers and wholesale houses surrounded them with defending walls. A pillar was erected in its yard, which meant that monks were being entered into religious service here and governors inaugurated. In 1104 the Vorotnavank was destroyed by Seljuks and afterwards was rehabilitated during the reign of Orbelyan family. Stone inscriptions by local governors have preserved on its stones (14th century). Here the mediaeval great Armenian philosopher Hovhan Vorotnetsi (1315-1388) runs his religious and scientific activities. He had established close ties between Vorotnavank and Tatev establishing the Tatev's university. During the Lank-Temurs invasions the church had destroyed again. In the late 19th century the church was in a poor condition. In 1931 the church was entirely destroyed by the earthquake and only in 1980 the reconstruction works of the church were commenced.